Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Song of the day (local content edition)

"Rain", by Jimmy Tait.

Jimmy Tait, it would seem, grew up in northern Victoria, in an area not that far from where I spent quite a bit of time in my youth at my cousin's farm outside of Rochester. (Indeed, the house on the cover of the album this song is from, "Golden", looks not unlike my cousin's parents' house.) The last time I was in that area was on a road trip with the 14-year-old, when we drove across the Murray Valley Highway (so many cows) with a necessary stop-off at the bakery at Strathmerton, which is really just a stone's throw from Jimmy Tait country.

I couldn't profess to pick any connection to the area just from listening to the music, but it does kind of make sense, when you know. "It all comes down to the rain" is so true.

The temptation with a song like this is to go big at the end. And big it does go, but in a gradual, sneaks-up-on-you kind of way, such that the hapless listener doesn't even notice until the storm is all around them. And by then it is too late.

I have been unable to hunt down a linkable version of this song. In the meantime, you can find it here.