Monday, March 31, 2014

Song of the day

"A Walk In The Dark", by Minisnap.

I wonder how many of you knew that six years ago Kaye Woodward, long-time guitarist with The Bats, put out an album called "Bounce Around", under the name Minisnap. I thought I was a fairly close Bats-watcher, but I only stumbled upon it by happy accident a little while ago. You couldn't, in all honesty, say that it wanders very far from its parent project (not surprisingly, since Minisnap is essentially The Bats minus Robert Scott, doing Kaye's songs), but it is certainly never less than enjoyable and at times it's much more than that. This is the last song on the album, and one of the best. I am very partial to the guitar work on this; it splits the difference between "classic Dunedin" and "first Cannanes album".