Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Song of the day

"Message To Pretty", by David Kilgour and Martin Phillipps.

One of my favourite Dunedin records (I have a lot of favourite Dunedin records) is the self-titled five-song CD by a one-off sixties covers project called Pop Art Toasters, spearheaded by David Kilgour and Martin Phillipps. Thus I was surprised, nay, delighted, to discover recently the existence of another sixties cover (the original is by Arthur Lee's Love), this time by just the two of them. (I don't know who is playing the harmonica but I am glad somebody did.)

Both the Pop Art Toasters record and the tribute album on which this song resides came out in 1994. Were they recorded at the same time? Did one spin off from the other? And, if the latter, which is the chicken and which is the egg?

In any event, the song is absolutely gorgeous. Trust me.

I can't find a clip anywhere, so here's a download.