Monday, September 06, 2010

Song of the day

"Stuck On You", by Sardine v. This particularly haunting and gorgeous song was by Sydney early-'80s band Sardine v, yet another of many diverse bands and musical projects by, or involving, the late Ian Rilen. If you only know him from the somewhat rowdier X, the melody and lyricism contained within this song will be a surprise.

I was reminded of this song by its appearance on a recent FACT mix, curated by Mogwai. You can download it here if you're quick. Aside from "Stuck On You", I was particularly taken by two songs, one taken from each of the so-called cold-wave / minimal-wave compilations that came out earlier this year, and which have confirmed me in my original impulse that I should own both of them. "Must ... have ... analog ... synths ... Must ... have ... analog ... synths ..."